GNOME Foundation To Focus On Fundraising After Years Running A Deficit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Foundation To Focus On Fundraising After Years Running A Deficit

Phoronix: GNOME Foundation To Focus On Fundraising After Years Running A Deficit

After several years of the GNOME Foundation running at a deficit (loss), the GNOME Foundation is going to be driving a push for greater fundraising...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In a free and open source world everything is still about money, who would have predicted

Comment

Perhaps they should focus more on making an end user product that people actually like... That would help them fundraise....

EDIT: Convergence never happened, it's a desktop interface so make it an actual desktop interface ffs...

Comment

Interesting to compare to the KDE group. I just checked, and their board is a mere 5 people. Gnome board is now 9 people. Do they really need 9 people?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Perhaps they should focus more on making an end user product that people actually like... That would help them fundraise....
          I like it. Everyone I know likes it. That's a lot of people and a lot of like. 😜

EDIT: Convergence never happened, it's a desktop interface so make it an actual desktop interface ffs...
          I'm running the same version of GNOME on my servers, my desktops, my laptops and my phones. It works fantastic on all those different platforms. Convergence did happen, just not in the Windows world. Macos and iOS are getting there, maybe another 5-10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            In a free and open source world everything is still about money, who would have predicted
            That's why GNOME is trying to fundraise themselves into having a Universal Basic Income. Even the free hot spring mineral water my town provides on tap requires the expenditure of driving there, a container to put it in, and driving back home. Free water is only as free as the resources to obtain the water. Free software is the same.

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread."

"​FOSS, in its majestic equality, grants the rich and poor alike the abilities to code in a cafe, to donate their time to board meetings, and to fork the sources."

The code itself might be licensed free, but the time, servers, and bandwidth to compile and distribute the code costs money. The programmers cost money. Travel costs money. The time to do it yourself costs money.

Freedom isn't free
            Donate to KDE

To use free software in your home
            Pony up and donate to GNOME

Comment

Yeah, I agree. I saw some unfriendly bug reports from them. Clearly they don't know who they work for.

Comment

Hope they sink and cease operations so the Linux desktop would be a far better place. Literally worse than waste of space.

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                Yeah, I agree. I saw some unfriendly bug reports from them. Clearly they don't know who they work for.
                "Some"? More like "most".

Comment

But why? They just received a huge sum of money from Sovereign Tech Fund...

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Hope they sink and cease operations so the Linux desktop would be a far better place. Literally worse than waste of space...
                    I don't understand, how does having less choice make the Linux desktop better? Its not a zero-sum game...unless you meant that "waste of space" comment as hyperbole?

Comment

Working...
                    X