Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 1.9.19 Supports New Docks, Incorporates More Fixes

Phoronix: Fwupd 1.9.19 Supports New Docks, Incorporates More Fixes

LVFS/Fwupd lead developer Richard Hughes has released Fwupd 1.9.19 as the newest update to this open-source firmware updating solution for Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Desktop motherboard support when...

Comment

It'd be nice to see more maintainers working on this, Richard is basically running this whole thing by himself. Don't want to see any burnout like with xz

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
        It'd be nice to see more maintainers working on this, Richard is basically running this whole thing by himself. Don't want to see any burnout like with xz
        It's his day job to work on it, but he's not working on it alone. Him and I do code review for each other, and I'm the second biggest committer. See Contributors to fwupd/fwupd.
        There are also a bunch of folks that come and contribute all sorts of plugins from other companies.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Ask them. It's not like this project can do anything about it.

Comment

It never worked for me. I've tried multiple different machines. It always something about capsules, i try to enable those with different methods one by one and nothing works. It doesn't automatically update any firmware. I've updated all of the firmware(MB, SSD, mouse) in different ways. Does it work for somebody?

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
              It never worked for me. I've tried multiple different machines. It always something about capsules, i try to enable those with different methods one by one and nothing works. It doesn't automatically update any firmware. I've updated all of the firmware(MB, SSD, mouse) in different ways. Does it work for somebody?
              Just in my house I've got 4 laptops and one workstation where fwupd handles all firmware updates without a hitch. There was some bug on the ye olde Dell workstation some time ago where the UEFI boot order wasn't updated/honored so I had to manually select the update entry but that seems to be fixed now.

Comment

I occasionally call it on some machines, but it likely really depends what sort of HW you have installed/attached. A lot of vendors still do not cooperate here, or they do not provide FW at all (e.g. some HardDisks, namely Toshiba and WD (Seagate has nice Linux tools there), countless SSDs, and of course mainboards, but also periphery). I guess it really depends.
                I personally never would run this as a daemon, as I like to do this with conscience and a mis-flashed things or malware attack might brick things. But it is genereally a fine thing that FW updates are a bit facilitated.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  I occasionally call it on some machines, but it likely really depends what sort of HW you have installed/attached. A lot of vendors still do not cooperate here, or they do not provide FW at all (e.g. some HardDisks, namely Toshiba and WD (Seagate has nice Linux tools there), countless SSDs, and of course mainboards, but also periphery). I guess it really depends.
                  I personally never would run this as a daemon, as I like to do this with conscience and a mis-flashed things or malware attack might brick things. But it is genereally a fine thing that FW updates are a bit facilitated.
                  The daemon will quit on its own when no client connects to it for a configurable period of time.

Everything to the web (to get updates and metadata) is through the client and triggering updates is through the client.

If a client never connects the daemon won't start up (it's dbus activation).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Desktop consumer manufacturers don't care and do not want to support Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X